Lewes Priory was founded by William de Warenne and his wife Gundrada between 1078 and 1082 on the earlier site of a Saxon Church. The Priory belonged to the French Benedictine Order of Cluny and became one of the wealthiest monasteries in England. In 1264 it was occupied by the troops of King Henry II and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII, the site was briefly owned by Thomas Cromwell. After hundreds of years in private ownership, the monastery fell into ruin which is how you find it today.
The recording conditions at the Priory could at best be described as challenging. The site is open to the public and has paths surrounding all of the major structures, this makes the certain validity of any clip as being EVP very difficult. Whilst many visit recordings are easy to review, the wind noise and possible contamination from other sources means we had to be very selective in the clips we present as EVP. Only those with unusual tone and contextual tone were isolated.